Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Climbing and Hot Sticks and Hand Saws, Oh my!

Boy am I sore. My feet and legs are sore from climbing, my arms are sore from pulling and sawing, and my brain is sore from studying. But I couldn't feel better. Learning this this trade has been harder than I anticipated, but it feels good to be challenged.

Like I said, we climbed today, mostly working on technique and being comfortable on the pole. After we had some practice in we were able to play a little game. I could explain what we did, but I'll just show you a video...



 Whoever drops the ball has to stay on the pole, while everyone else gets to do an "up-down." Fun stuff!

My Shadow...

Looking down...
Looking up

After that, we did another "skills builder."  It involved 1 crew (4 guys), hand-sawing the end off a power pole, then running over and pulling an arm up 10 times. We won! My prize? A sticker. Hey, it means a lot to me, okay? Actually, the real prize is the muscles I'm going to have. Check out the stickers, I mean pictures. Plus a bonus video!

Hand sawing


Yesterday we did some underground in a simulated sub-development. Check me out using a hot stick.

Using a "shot gun" hot stick to pull a fuse out of a (dead) transformer

Some guys making up transformers. We get to try it out within the next few weeks.

So, we have 2 tests tomorrow - first off: Electrical Systems by Mr. Groves, and Lineman Fundamentals by Mr. Sobolewski (which, looking ahead, is actually going to difficult next week). And then something called a county fair rotation. We'll see what that means - hopefully county fair means corndogs or curly fries! (it doesn't)

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the hard work! Glad you're enjoying school.

    ReplyDelete